Cherry Side Table
06-14-2013, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 10:20 AM by GarageWoodworks.)
Cherry Side Table
I'm trying something new! I'm going to be building a cherry side table and I'd like to invite everyone to build this along with me. Below you'll find the dimensions and a link to the SkecthUp file. The cost of the lumber for me was around $150 for all lumber not including the top. For the top I'm going with lacewood which I purchased from Woodcraft ($54). The drawer sides and back will be made from maple.

I made a couple minor changes to the design. I modified the thickness and width of the front rails above and below the drawer. The SketchUp file below and drawings represent the NEW version.

[Image: Cherry_table2.png]

[Image: Cherry_table2b.png]

This isn't an incredibly difficult project and would be great for someone just starting out in furniture making. We'll cover lumber preparation, floating tenon joinery, tapered legs, drawer making, drawer guides and much more.

I started working on the legs but I haven't gotten very far.

Let's have a little fun!

In order to view different layers of the drawing in SketchUp click 'Windows' then 'Layers' and you can turn on and off the drawer and top or main assembly.

[Image: layers_demo.png]

Brian
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2013, 08:18 PM
RE: Cherry Side Table
I think I'm in, except probably cherry for the top instead of lacewood.
Find all posts by this user
06-14-2013, 09:30 PM
(06-14-2013 08:18 PM)rwrayburn Wrote:  I think I'm in, except probably cherry for the top instead of lacewood.

Awesome! I have a table we bought from Ethan Allen years ago and I'm using those dimensions so I know they work well. It seems short, but it's a great height next to a couch for a drink.

Brian
06-16-2013, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2013 02:24 PM by GarageWoodworks.)
I made a couple minor changes to the design. I modified the thickness and width of the front rails above and below the drawer. The SketchUp file above is the NEW version above.

This will make the joinery much easier. I am thinking of using double floating stub tenons for these. Some use a dovetail to join the upper drawer rail to the legs but I don't think this is necessary.

Brian
06-17-2013, 07:15 PM
(06-14-2013 08:18 PM)rwrayburn Wrote:  I think I'm in, except probably cherry for the top instead of lacewood.

I thought my first step was going to be to go get some 8/4 cherry. Now it's more like go find a copy of Sketchup for Dummies. I'll catch up next week.
06-17-2013, 09:23 PM
(06-17-2013 07:15 PM)rwrayburn Wrote:  

I thought my first step was going to be to go get some 8/4 cherry. Now it's more like go find a copy of Sketchup for Dummies. I'll catch up next week.

Let me know if I can help.

Brian
06-19-2013, 12:19 PM
(06-17-2013 07:15 PM)rwrayburn Wrote:  

May i suggest Google Sketchup: The Missing Manual by Chris Grover ISBN:978-0-596-52146-2, i have found this book to be the most informative for s a new user.

The WoodRasp.
06-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Well I hope those that are building this are having a decent time. I am glueing my main carcass assembly today. I am doing this in two sub-assemblies.

For this project I made my first floating double tenon which was much easier to make than I anticipated. A double tenon for the drawer rails (above and below drawer) will really add a lot of strength to this small joint.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Brian
06-21-2013, 04:07 PM
I added part two of my Build-A-Long in the original post above. One more video should do it!

Brian
06-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Finished the drawer and dovetailed drawer slide today. Shew! Tomorrow I start work on the top!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Brian