Krenov Plane – Wrong Angle?

Ok, so apparently I made a goof with my hand plane build…or did I?  My intention was to have a 45 degree bed angle (bevel down) but I ended up using the wrong angled block (see video) for the bed of the iron.  I’m calling it angle dyslexia!  I made a 62 degree plane iron bed instead of 45 degrees.  It’s not what I wanted but is it really that bad?  Higher angles are better for highly figured wood; they are less prone to tear out.  A caveat is that they are harder to push through the wood with the higher angle.  This will usually require a less aggressive cut or thinner shaving.

So, it’s not what I originally intended to make, but I think it will have its uses.

Now to make a 45 degree Krenov…

HandPlanethumb

8 Responses to “Krenov Plane – Wrong Angle?”

1. Eric R says:

I think 62* is mighty steep, but if it works for you, that’s all that matters.

• GarageWoodworks says:

If it works for me I’m sure it’ll work for you. While 62 is not what I wanted, it’s not uncommon to find them intentionally made that steep with the intention of working difficult grain.

Thanks for the comment.

2. Dwain Lambrigger says:

I say try it and see how it works. It’s a good excuse to purchase and plane some walnut burl… Or bird’s eye maple.

3. Dwain Lambrigger says:

I would think that is EXACTLY why you would want to build wooden hand planes. I just can’t justify buying all the different planes I would like, especially with the different blade angles. It would be nice to have a smoother at a high angle, a jack at a high angle and even a jointer at a high angle. Why not for the cost of a blade and less than a full day’s work per plane.

• GarageW00dworks says:

Agreed! I think I still want to build a smaller block plane. The ones that I’ve made so far have a long body and require two hands to control. A nice one handed wooden block plane would be sweet.

4. PJ says:

Nice! Where did you source your plane iron?